Monday, March 16, 2009

Hong Kong

This past weekend we got a completely unexpected couple of days off from work and decided to jump at the opportunity to check out Hong Kong. HK is only an hour or so ferry ride from Macau and we had all been itching to get over there and check it out. I was waffling a little becuase I still feel like there is so much that I haven't seen in Macau, but then again, unless I come back out here for work, when am I ever going to get the chance to get over there. So off we went. Well let me tell you, HK is like no place I have ever been too and is absolutely amazing. It reminded me of a mix of NYC (the amount of people & atmostphere & amount of stuff everywhere) and then a little of Amsterdam. We went to this place called Lan Kwai Fang which shuts down the streets at night to cars and becomes an outdoor party place where there are just loads and loads of bars. On top of all that, the city is built on hilly islands so when you are driving around you feel like you are on a roller coaster.

The amount of people who were out completely blew my mind. Walking around the city was not walk and view the sights around you, it was a defensive exercise where you were bobbing and weaving to escape the throngs of people coming straight at you. Not to mention the fabulous people who walked at snails pace. I swear if you weren't actively trying to walk and just following the crowd it could take you 10 minutes to go 5 feet. I'm not sure how any locals every actually make it anywhere in decent time.

On another note: The Macau Tower is the highest bungy jump offered in the world and it is right next to where I am staying. In fact the picture offered in the earlier post is the tower I am talkign about. There are two guys here who have been planning on jumping and I'm seriously considering joining them.... Absolutely crazy! and yet not really something you can pass up right?

4 comments:

Bayjb said...

Wow that sounds like such a trip. I am jealous.

Anonymous said...

You should do it! When will you get a chance to do something like that again?

Let me know how it goes.

Lisa said...

Oh, you MUST bungee jump! As for HK -- I love how you have the language to interpret it -- kind of a mix between NYC and Amsterdam -- such a world traveler! I love it!

Of course one can not be jealous when such a one has been rooted out west for a month. So I won't be -- but I say, kudos to you for having a great time! Enjoy everything you can!

Hal said...

I'm so excited everyone thinks I should do it as well! I was definitely on the fence about it and then we were going to do it last sunday and as soon as I heard I was saying I would join...didn't even know what I was saying!

I'll be sure to throw a post up about it, along with pictures. We are waiting for the perfect clear day to do it so hopefully I'll get some good shots!

HK is totally a city I would recommend visiting. I didn't see half of what you should there and loved every second of what I did see. And yes, I guess I am getting around the world! I'm so LUCKY! lol