Friday, March 20, 2009

Where I pretend my blog is a girlfriend

I am currently finishing my third week of being the lone girl in a very big pack of guys. This is a bit of an exageration because I am living with two other girls but they are both older and are the complete opposite type of person than I am. ie. I like to go out and have a good time where they both like to go to bed as soon as we get home from work. So even though they are around, I pretty much have only been hanging out with the guys I work with. And then beyond that I am working with these guys 12 or 14 hours a day and then head out at night with them because who else am I going to see things with in MAcau. Needless to say I am starting to hit that point where I could really use a girl around to just talk about girly shit with! I mean, I am fairly outgoing with what I say, and I've found these guys a lot easier to talk to than I could have ever expected but still! I have guy issues and I could really use a little chat session, face to face, about it! Cause it's fun! haha

So I am going to pretend that my blog is a girlfriend! don't believe I have any male readers(assuming I have readers here)  but if so, turn away. 
Point 1: I can not stand sports talk! I'll watch live games and other than that I don't care! stop talking it to me, stop trying to make me understand, let me zone out and let me know when you are finished. then I'll come back and join the convo! And going along with that please don't make me sit through an entire meal of sports talk. You have to have something else in your brain! 
 
Point 2: Work talk should be left behind at some point! yes I understand we all met through work and we work ungodly long days but come on! you have to let go and relax at some point in the night. 
 
Point 3: I really enjoy guys being courteous and polite and doing things like letting the girl go first and opening the door, but chinese men are so courteous (not even the right word) that it makes me feel like an idiot. When you are pointing out a huge ass hole in the floor to me so that I don't trip what could you possibly be thinking??? I don't see it! Give me some credit, after all I am walking around critiquing you! And when you open a door and then try to step backwards INTO me so that I can walk through first, it isn't courteous or nice, it's annoying! Yes I understand this is probably sounding incredibly bitchy but give me some rather ignorant american guys anytime! I may have to open my own door but at least I don't have an elbow in the shoulder every five minutes. Also along the same lines of thank you so much for thinking of me and bringing me a bottle of water in the field, in any normal circumstances I would love you for it as I drink water non-stop usually but I'm not you who can pull it out in any vicinity if you feel the urge to go, I actually need a bathroom which is miles away from me most of the time and I will not be going back to the office area for like 6 hours. I also am already juggling a notepad, pens/pencils/highlighters, maps, cellphone, and a walkie talkie. Do you really think I want to carry a bottle of water as well as we walk the 10 miles all over the site? yet again I don't have those fabulous big pockets guys depend on where everything fits! I have a hard enough time with my cell phone much less a bottle of water. 
 
Point 4: STOP STARING AT ME! and STOP CALLING ME MA'AM! You will never know what staring is until you walk through a construction site with 10,000 workers and every single one stops what they are doing to watch you walk past! It's creepy and not so fun. And I'm not even calling myself that good-looking, I'm just the ONLY american girl on site. And then seriously, I am not 80 years old. please stop calling me Ma'am, it makes me sad. Madam is fine, I have had absolutely no misses. 
 
Point 5: There are really no good looking guys in Macau. Unless you happen to know the Aussies who are here for work! And they are fun! But as of yet, I have only seen them in work. Which is not a conducive environment for having some fun. see previous post of hard hat, muggy weather, sweat = yucky hallie. 
 
Point 6: Girls take longer to get ready after a full day of sweating your ass off! yes, it's true. deal with it and move on. You throw on a collared shirt and nice shoes. I have to make a whole outfit. 

alright, I think i'm done. with the only major issue not being addressed but hey. only so much you can put to the internet! Like I believe I have said, I know a lot of this sounds bitchy and I totally understand that it is their culture and I never say any of this aloud to them or let on what I'm thinking but man did I need to vent! 

One more week out here, then I go back to feeling absolutely useless in my chicago office. not good.... almost wish I were staying out here a little longer, weird to think but I think I've found the niche in this field that I want to make a career out of. maybe....who knows life. 

UPDATE: Ended up staying in last night and catching up with 3 of my lovelies. So much happens when you fly halfway across the world! Felt wonderful though and I love all my peeps so much! 

2 comments:

Tomasen said...

I am laughing laughing laughing!! You do well to use your blog as a girlfriend!!
Love reading ach catching up!
I can tell you are loving the "work" as opposed to the work of "not working"!!

Hal said...

Oh yea, I've never been a happier person at work in my life. I actually get comments that I'm chipper....me? chipper? haha, I would never use that word to describe me and yet here....I am. crazy