Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Trait


I'm a rather forgetful person... and not in a I can't function or remember anything ever. When it comes to dates or meetings or facts I have never needed a planner, and I am pretty much always early. In fact I have tried to have planners, etc and I just never find myself looking at it. My daily schedule was just always in my head and that was that. But when it comes to anything else I just don't have a great memory. And add in booze and pretty much all bets are off.

This means that when I meet anyone who remembers insane details I get rather intimidated. I mean my two best friends: one if you ask her what she ate for breakfast at 10am that SAME day will not be able to tell you, and the other if you don't remind her 8 million times about something will not show up. So I've always just been surrounded I guess by people who have adequate memories. and I don't mean in like you can quote any music/movie/tv show lyrics or music artists etc. cause my friends can do that. I mean the like pertinent specific details about a person. LIke if you get asked what the first concert you went to was and then a month later they pulled that out on you. It's trippy!

one of the first memorable times this happened to me was during a business trip a while back. I had been doing night shifts with this one guy and we were hanging out alot and while you work (or wait) you talk. So then he would just throw out these random facts about me that 1) I had no memory telling him and 2) did not remember the same about him. So we were cool enough that I was just able to make fun of him for it and put it down to alright whatever.

well i just recently met another person who was the same way! and I have decided that it just freaks me out and makes me very uncomfortable. And in a completely selfish way it makes me feel inadequate. I will never be able to remember all those specific details, and I've tried. I remember as a child I would run home all excited to tell my mother a story adn then she would have ten million extra questions and I would be all like I dunno... why don't you just enjoy my story?!?!?! and she would be like aren't you curious about all that??!?!? and I would be but it had/has never occurred to me to ask all those probing, in-depth questions. I think this is along the same lines.

Now I dont' know if this makes me selfish or maybe I am just always thinking of too many things at once that I can never focus on one specific detail... and thus remember it. Whatever it is.... it is what it is... and I have decided that people who remember everything intimidate me. I would like to get better at the whole deal.. I mean I hate waking up on nights that I have one drink and think I know I had this conversation with so and so but for the life of me I can't remember the details. Any ideas on how I could fix this??? cause you want my schedule for the next month? down to the hours of my day until past christmas. but your dogs name if you've only told me once? or the name of the town you're from unless i've been there (or known you for awhile). it's not me.

Am I weird??

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I personally think you are blaming this defect on your mother!!!! And oh, it DID drive me insane that you told stories with huge holes in them!!!! But I apologize for not enjoying the story despite that. But HELLO, I was a reporter. Who, What, When, Where WHY??? You can't really blame me for my inquisitive nature!

I am the type that remembers things you are talking about, AND I am great with schedules. Therefore, I am perfect and I am not sure what happened to you. Perhaps it is all in your head??? Get the fluff out and make more room for inconsequential details!

Hal said...

I'm not blaming it on you! I did stop telling you stories though unless I knew I had all the information! haha

and yea I think it's all about focusing and then repeating what i've learned. it's just hard when it's all coming at you fast! haha

Tomasen said...

Hmmm...I think this is something you can and do get better at!! I was really very much the same way and then one day I met this girl who remembered everything and so I started putting in a bit more effort. It worked and does work, but I meet so many people and work with so many people that I realize the ones that I remember are the ones that I am really interested in and the rest I let fall into the abyss of I really don't care and that is fine with me!!