Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Belated Thanksgiving & Raw Food Contemplations

My wonderful parents were great enough to buy me a spur of the moment ticket home for Thanksgiving so I have been enjoying a delightful few days basking in home love. It came at a good time and has def helped in healing. 

My mother has recently started eating raw and my sister has started tagging along on that journey. This meant that we had two types of thanksgiving dinner. One cooked by my 13 year old brother (traditional turkey, potatoes, stuffing) and than a "raw" meal that consisted of broccoli salad, raw mashed potatoes, raw stuffing and I think that's it. It was very interesting to be able to taste the differences between what we deem as normal food and these dishes made out of all nuts and sprouted grains. I believe that I would very much like to be able to eat the way my mother does because it is more along the lines of how I eat. 

I prefer to eat lots of small snacks throughout the day and not too much at once. I also, and prepare yourself here, ABHORE condiments. Yes that means mayo, ketchup, dressing, most dips and pretty much any other condiment that exists. I do understand this is odd but I hate them. Which I believe is why this raw thing speaks to me so much, it does not use any of those creepy consistency condiments. Unfortunately for me, eating raw if far too expensive and rather time consuming as well as hard to prepare for just yourself. But it is something that I am going to look into and try out. Because lots of what I ate this weekend was amazingly good! And truth be told, other than bread and cheese I don't particularly need other cooked food. Though please don't hold me to that because I can be fickle! lol. Until then I will enjoy a moderate balance and continue to figure out this whole crazy process that is food in our world. 

Until then, hope everyone had a grand Thanksgiving and break and that tomorrow is just as wonderful. 

No comments: