Thursday, November 13, 2008

Title of This Blog

Water in any form has always had special meaning for me. Most of my greatest memories as a child occured while I was in a body of water with friends and family. Movement in water has always felt smooth and carefree, as if nothing can touch me. Even during my hardest practices or races I knew everything would be.

As I've said it doesn't matter in what form water comes to me in. As a lake and freshwater, ocean and salty, waterfalls, rain, or even drinking water. If I sit down and watch and allow that fluidity of water to soothe me everything falls away. I believe this is because no matter what happens to water it keeps moving and making it's way along its path. If it reaches a rock it figures out a way to move around that obstacle. It can wear things down and beat out it's own path or it can follow along in an already created one. It seems to have the lessons of life learned and is happy in it's position.

I guess what you can say is that I'm jealous of water, lol but in truth I think it just provides me with a model. I am forever changing and molding and I crave that change. In eighth grade I decided I didn't want to be in my school anymore and so I convinved my mom to help me apply to the local private school 5 minutes down the road. After 4 years I made a decision to continue to college, and though that is an expected decision these days, one still does need to choose a area of medium. Then after 4 years at college I made quite possibly the biggest decision in my life and I moved to Chicago.

Luckily I was able to convince a highschool friend to move out with me and a couple friends from college made the move as well, but it still feels sometimes like I am alone. Alone in a city that I have fallen in love with. One of the reasons I chose my college was because it was in a city, though granted not much of one, and anything was better than the small town in NH I was used to. Now here in Chicago I am learning that it is hard to be without your best friends and making your way with a very boring job. But beyond all of that I am very proud with myself in how I have become self sufficient and I feel right in this city. I walk around, traversing the streets that go from neighborhoody with trees lining the sidewalks to a busy bustling road. I can take a bus for 10 minutes and be back by water! A glorious thrilling incredible body of water. My walk to work goes right over a section of the Chicago river. Morning and night I feel a sense of calm wash over me as I cross the unique bridges that stud the city.

I am beginning this blog because I have recently started reading others that have begun when they have moved to a different city and I read their posts and can 100% relate with what they are saying. And all of a sudden I realized that instead of maybe continuously trying to make the bf understand what I feel or weighing my roomate down I can put it down here. I do realize that I am 4 months into this journey already, but the summer was such a whirlwind anyway that I don't think I actually realized what was happening in my life until about a month ago. And only now do I feel the need to lay it out somewhere. Maybe in the hopes that others might get consolation knowing they aren't the only ones out there experiencing this, maybe so that I can come back and reread these posts when I move to my next city! cause I do love traveling.

I don't promise to post every day, I don't promise to post every week. I find writing very theraputic when I want that type of release and I hate it when I force myself. So this will probably be a place where lots of posts go up at a time and then a hiatus is taken. Don't worry, I will for sure let you all know if I decide to stop or leave at any time. Until then, lets go!

No comments: