Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chilly Day in Chicago

It is very cold out today. COLD COLD COLD! I dislike the cold, seriously. I am like a cat where I curl up in the sun and can read and hang out there all day. I love the feeling that comes from a day in the sun and strive to achieve that every day. Unfortunately here in Chicago the sun does not shine that often in these bleak winter months. And to top that all off I am inside my office all day every day, in a middle room with no windows. Suffice it to say I am having huge nature withdrawals this year. But that's not what this post is about.

It's chilly here and yet for some reason I have never taken it upon myself to consider living in a warmer climate. And I've had some options. For college I could have gone somewhere, but no I decided to go two states away to Mass where the weather is not quite as cold, but really still the same. And then with my internship I had the possibility of going somewhere like California. Did I take it? Of course not because there is something in me that even though I hate the cold and would do anything to get out of it I still crave it.

Walking home from work and to the gym last night it was snowing and it was so fun to walk through the city having the flakes catch on my jacket. I felt like skipping and twirling around. Or throwing a snowball at someone. Of course all three of these things were foiled as I probably would have slipped and fallen if I had tried skipping, the twirling would have looked ridiculous, and I'm sure whatever unsuspecting stranger I chucked the snowball at would have something to say to me that would not be along the nice lines. So... none of that happenned and I made my way quite happily to my gym.

Now why do I crave the cold and snow?? I truly have no idea because I am one of those people who should have that crazy sun lamp thing sitting on her desk to help keep up her mood. I think it's because as amazing and wonderful as the summer is (anywhere!) the cold allows me to respect that beautiful time and relish it. And of course I love spring and fall with their growth and beauty. So I shall continue to enjoy these gray months of winter and hope that the weekends can provide me with the required sunlight.

Or maybe I'll consider moving to Cali come the end of this year....

No comments: