Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Simple Things I Heart about Chicago

My apt is on the corner of two quiet streets and every morning when I leave for work I walk out onto a gorgeous tree lined pleasant sidewalk. Whether it is good weather and the trees are in bloom or winter when snow is blanketing everything from the trees, cars, buildings, and sidewalks* I walk down the block towards the El and feel peaceful. Very rarely are there many more than 5 other people on my street at a time and mostly they are walking their dogs. So all in all it's a very homey comforting feeling.

But then I walk the one block down and around the corner is the city! Armitage street always has tons of things going on, buses and cars and numerous people walking to the El. You are instantly filled with the urgency and energy that cities have. "I must be going somewhere," "have to pay attention there are people all over the sidewalk." And recently, "don't walk to close to the edge of the sidewalk or the cars might splash puddles on you!" Lol.

I love the contradiction that exists within one block of my apt. Feels like I get the best of both worlds. And even though I was woken up last night by sirens screaming down my street that very rarely happens and I sleep soundly through the night. Love the city!

*For having snow most of the winter and being used to ice and rain Chicago does not take care of it's sidewalks very well. I have almost slipped and fallen numerous times and we've only been dealing with it for ~ two weeks!

2 comments:

Tomasen said...

Yes, there is an incredible energy to any city! I LOVE it as well...it makes you feel so alive! I am more inspired to blog since you have started. Check it out...a tree fell on our house!! Hope you are keeping warm. There are hundreds of thousands here without power...not us though!!
Stay warm!
Love you

Hal said...

I'm so happy to have helped you to blog more! Though it's funny, I've always bugged Mom if she hasn't blogged that day and yet it is very hard to think of something to say EVERY day!

And yes I love this city, minus the 5 degree temp we had today. And I had to traipse all over...woe is me. lol