Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cute shoes & Work Woes

For the first time since I have started my job I have been steadily busy and man does it wear you out. I have been going through a steady 9 hour day, cause I don't really take lunch, it's just not me. If I'm at work I work, becuase I would rather not be here just hanging out, let me leave an hour earlier. Duh. haha Though I did take a very long lunch break last week and went shopping with some colleagues. Sometimes a girl has just got to shop. And I got the cutest pair of ankle boots, shown right here, which I am actually wearing today!!! They are fabulous. These aren't quite the ones I have but they are the same color, and the zipper is there, though not on both sides, not like you can even tell that but I am still at work and don't want to search anymore. Plus the heel isn't as tall. Alrgiht back to my real thoughts.
So being busy as work has actually been a real thrill, and it's made me a lot more comfortable with everyone in my office because I was basically told to design an entire automatic sprinkler system and fire alarm system. I've had classes in this, but the professor absolutely sucked and even though I passed I never actually understood the whole entire process and what I did understand I knew was wrong half the time, but he just gave me a slightly bad grade and went on his way. I am not a fan of him, if you can tell. So here I am designing this entire system for a fairly large building, not only with columns and roof obstructions, but skylights too. Which let me tell you, is a bitch is design around. Sprinklers have all these restrictions where they can't be too close together or too far apart or too close to this wall or this stuck out random mechanical thing. It's a major headache, but also kind of cool because it's puzzle like. Which I've always enjoyed.
So here I am doing this whole thing by myself which meant I went out and searched down the prominent sprinkler guys, and then the well-informed fire alarm guy, and talked to the CAD technicians and generally just took help from whomever was willing to give it. I also had to talk to the client becuase he is getting these drawings close to a week later than he requested, which were fine, that's how things work in this business, but I hate confrontation and not making deadlines. It's frightening! Luckily everyone was really nice about it. Even the Vice President of the company who had to review my drawings and see all of my stupid intern mistakes. Yea, it has been one hell of a last week and a half, though I truly don't think it's over either, but I do belive the worst is past us. And through all of this, I have learned how to design and present a working, intelligent, professional sprinkler and alarm system so it's def been a really great experience, it just really makes me wish that the cliche of getting thrown into the pot with no help wasn't true. though I bet by the end of the week I'll look back and see all the help I got, and be glad that the girl who hates to talk to 1) people she doesn't know, 2) people on the phone, and 3)confrontation had to deal with all of it. And is better for it???? I still dislike talking to people on the phone, if I know them or not.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I've never liked to make phone calls. And I used to do phone interviews. But I always found that once I was on the phone, it all worked out. Just work through the fear and within seconds you can be back in your comfort zone.

I find it funny, I hate to talk on the phone, but once I GET on the phone, I am on for hours. What sense does that make????

Kudos for designing a sprinkler system. How cool is that!

Hal said...

I'm good at talking on the phone when I actually have stuff to say and know the person. But if I don't know them, ugh. It can actually make my day when I get a nice customer service rep on the phone because I hate having to call so much and they make it so easy.

Designing it was cool, logistical stuff was not!