Friday, February 20, 2009

NEWMACS: GO WPI

This weekend is the Women's swimming championship for my college swim team and I've been sitting here at work looking at the results as they go up. THey are taking place at MIT this year which has the most gorgeous pool in the entire world (ok maybe the olympic beats it) but seriously it is absolutely amazing to swim in. Anywho so my old team is there and though most of the people I still know, a lot of the girls are new so I really only care about a couple people.

Couple things you should know, my school is D3 and we compete against a couple D2 schools when we go to this championship. We are also a very small team, think 15 girls instead of 40,becuase it's an engineering school so girls have really only recently been integrated and the swim team has only started getting recognition in the past 4 years since we got a new coach and swimmers have been getting better. So thinking about all that:

I want to put out a loud shoutout to my favorite girl, Karen, who landed in the top 8 for the 200 im and her time was right on her lifetime best. Which in swimming is an extremely hard thing to. Usually your lifetime bests happen like once and then you never get close to it again so for her to do this year, her senior year, is so great. I am seriously sitting here at work freaking out because I am so happy and excited and proud and giddy and sad becuase I'm not there!!! My friend Tiff who has been checking the results with me is going up there to surprise Karen tonight and it makes me so sad that I can't be tehre to celebrate with her. And for her to make it back when there are like 40 swimmers is so fantastic. Our team usually only has 1 or 2 people each day who get to go to finals and for the past few years it's been her and me so I feel like I should be there to walk to the bull pen with her and blah blah.

Regardless!!! I am jsut estatic for her and will be sending many many happy and congratulatory and good luck thoughts out to my favorite swimmer as well as the rest of the team and the fabulous coaches!

No comments: