Monday, October 19, 2009

Bed-frames & Bureaus... OH MY!

Today I spent about 5 hours putting my bed frame and ikea bureau together. It was long and hard and dirty but now I have mucho storage space! And well the bed frame wasn't really that hard. It's just these metal bars that pretty much raise the bed so I can slide awesome storage containers under it! BUT I had to laugh cause while talking to the bed sales person I mentioned that my old frame hadn't had a middle bar (I was concerned it would effect my storing things) she was HORRIFIED and kept saying I'm so surprised that your bed just didn't collapse in the middle or anything. To which I replied , well it did end up breaking so I guess maybe it's needed. I neglected to tell her that I was doing a bit more than sleeping when the leg collapsed. Gave me a laugh though. I woke up the next morning on a tilt...not so comfortable :)

So after the quick bed assembly and the not so quick dealing with a heavy mattress as a poor weak girl I moved on the constructing this!
And it is oh so pretty and fun! Luckily it was a lot more assembled than I had been picturing, alas it did still take me like 3 hours and I was exhausted after! I mean my hand was killing me from screwing in so many screws! lol. But it's so pretty and gives me so much room :) Note: things look much smaller in a very large ikea. In my room here it is definitely mammoth. In fact tomorrow I am planning some major furniture moving to see if it will look less mammoth anywhere else. Heres hoping!

beyond that, the countdown is on to my exam on saturday and I'm feeling very so-so about my preparation. I know I could have studied more but I also know that there is so much info I am suppossed to re-learn that I wouldn't remember it anyway. So I am doing my usual studying which is to re-alert my brain and now the basics and I will just have to trust that my problem-solving, engineer mentality, and brain will get me through. Because seriously, I've probably studied more for this exam than my entire time in college which is just insane. 4 days!

oh. if anyone has ideas on how to keep bed frame wheels from rolling on my hardwood floors please help?! wheels and no rug is not a good combination.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

The bureau is pretty! And congratulations on putting it together -- though that seems a lot of hours for such a project!

You buy these like sort of cup things that you put under the wheels, or maybe more like disks, A place like Target would have them I am sure:

http://www.shop.com/slip+grip+furniture?p=55335476&k=36

Hal said...

hmm ok. I'l have to check out target. but maybe walgreens? that's much closer to me. lol

and I know, the length of time surprised even me. Seemed to take forever, but it's there!

Bayjb said...

Wow the bureau is gorgeous. I do NOT like building furniture so I give you a ton of credit here. I prefer to buy my furniture pre-built :)

Maggie said...

That bureau is lovely! I'm totally jealous. I always thought beds that had wheels had locks or stopper things to keep them from moving-I guess not.

and I had a good chuckle over the bed collapsing thing. it happened to me once too even with the bar in the middle!

Archana said...

Ikea is awesome. :) Though I'm not a big fan of having to put the stuff together, heh, I wish they'd just home deliver it all nice & ready to use. :P

As for how to stop your bed from rolling, my roomie used to put a small square of cardboard and wedge it underneath each wheel - that way it just withstood whatever craziness she got around too, lol.