Monday, January 5, 2009

Crazy Bus Travels

New Years Eve (Wed): Woke up insanely early this morning to catch a 6am bus down to danbury. I was choosing to go on the early one becuase I thought it was a straight trip all the way down and I would get there with plenty of time to hang out and get ready for the new years eve partying!!! Oh no! At the very first step, buying the ticket, I was told that I had two transfers. Now I'm not sure if it was the insanely early hour, or that my mind just hadn't woken up yet, but the woman seemed very calm and was acting like this was a normal thing so I assumed everything would be fine and my transfer buses would be waiting right there for me and I would go from one to the other. yea...right. cause my traveling experiences are always easy peasy. I get off the bus in boston and look across to find my next one and there is nothing. there is a bus going to hartford (my next transfer) at 9:30am, it is not 7:20 but that is it. Ok, my brain is thinking well I was supposed to be in Danbury at 11:30 so there must be one that leaves earlier than 9:30.

So I walk myself over to the ticket counter, being careful to swerve around all of the overexcited NYC bound crazies AND the mean old bitchy sour cause she's not goign anywhere woman tells me that the next bus that will get me to Danbury doens't leave until 12:15. Excuse me??? I say on the website there was one that was supposed to get me there at 11:30. Oh you missed that, that one left at 7.
Now here's where Hallie gets really mad becuase anyone who lives in NH knows that you can not get from Concord to Boston in an hour, so the woman who sold me the ticket at the beginning of the morning sold me a ticket that she knew would take me all day! Strike 1 bus people.
So I say ok, well can I take the bus that leaves at 9:30 to Hartford anyway? "Surrree if you want to wait in Hartford." Fine cranky old woman I will just leave and do what I want. Luckily I did take the 9:30 bus which was supposed to put us in Hartford at 11:45. Guess what time we got there???? 

1pm!

Now this was fine for me becasue I had already called my friend and she had looked up the next bus to Danbury and it wasn't until 2. great! less time for me to wait in a station (they are always cold and gross) and I'll still get to danbury with a decent amount of time.

Around 1 I drag my 85lb bag into the Hartford bus station and immediately check to see if the bus to Danbury is still running and on time. I mean we had just driven through the worst of the snow storm, but who knows with crazy bus people. The not so lovely woman at the desk informed me that yes it was. Ok nice!!! I'll run to the bathroom and then grab some food. 3 minutes later Hallie walks out of the bathroom and hears over the intercom...

"crackle crackle...Danbury passenger.....crackle mumble static....dispatch office....static crackle...immediately"

oh no!! is that me?? I'm a danbury passenger... what is a dispatch office??? well there was a small window outside that I saw someone sitting behind?? I mean the ticket desk can't be the dispatch office right???!?!? That over there is the security booth. Alright, outside I go! 

"Hello I'm going to Danbury, is this the dispatch office?"

"You're going to Danbury? At 2? Do you really need to go to Danbury?"

"Well yes, my friend is picking me up there."

"I can only take you to WATERBURY! WATERBURY you hear??" short crazy man is yelling at me. "And we leave now! I am leaving now, you come, I will take you to Waterbury, you can be picked up there! All buses to Danbury are canceled! Lets go!"

"Alright!" waterbury is closer than hartford at least right?

I am the only one on the bus with this crazy man and as soon as we pull out he is cackling up in the front seat because he knows that there are others at that station who are trying to get to Danbury but they didn't report to the dispatch office... I have no idea what was working for me that day, but man it all just worked out perfectly. I ended up being picked up in Waterbury by my fave even though it turned out that they could have gotten me to danbury....silly silly. At least my flight back to Chicago was uneventful and easy. :)

All in all I ended up in Danbury with plenty of time to make myself pretty and have a fabulous time in a NYC bar. Go 2009!!! 

2 comments:

Tomasen said...

The cackling man driving the bus...what an image. Very CREEEEEPY!! There is nothing like travelling to conjure up some great stories!
Were you in Times Square to see the ball drop?

Hal said...

We did not go to Times Square. One of the girls I was with had a friend who did that and she had to go into the city at noon and was pretty much just standing in Times Square that entire day & night. And you aren't allowed to do anything really.

So ultimately it sounded very boring and it was FREEZING that day! So we just chose a bar and watched the ball drop on the big screens they had. Still fun! and we were warm. :)