Wednesday, January 14, 2009

To discover your inner self

    (Note: I fell over when I did this move!)

With the lovely cold front that has been flowing through Chicago I have been focusing on spending a longer amount of time in the gym than usual. I figure during the week unless I have plans I could be working out rather than sitting in front of the tv and passing out! haha cause yes, for some reason my incredibly boring work days tire me out like woah!  Plus I would like to get my swimmers body back just a bit..

I've been trying out different work out classes in the past week or so. My gym is great in that it offers like 4 or 5 classes a night that are free since I am a member and they have 3 locations with different classes. So the other night I went to "Ab Attack," pretty self explanatory and "Steel Pilates." Both were nice and not too cardioish which is nice. I'm one of those worker outers who likes to work out but does not like to be moving at rocket pace the whole time. I am uncoordinated and do not have the will to move that fast. It was always my one huge problem with swimming. My coach would always say "windmill!" "windmill!" and I just could not handle that. Anyway I liked those classes. 

Then today I went to what was called "Absolute Yoga" or something like that. The description made it sound like it wasn't so much straight yoga as it was yoga moves with abs and core exercises thrown in. WELL NO! This was straight up yoga, up to the incredibly flamboyant instructor telling me to look inside myself and learn from this hour long class. Now he was very nice and made the class interesting and easy to follow but yoga is just soooooo not for me. I mean you are supposed to be focusing on your breathing and connecting but all I can think is oh man I'm not exhaling in the right place and my shoulders hurt, and how long is this downward dog going to last! I also could not stop thinking about that Bikram Yoga, the one where you do yoga in a 90 degree room or something. I can not believe someone could do that! Haha the roomie did for awhile but oh man...instead of thinking about breathing I would constantly be wiping myself off from being sopping wet! ICK! I mean hello, I'm a swimmer. You don't see the sweat in the water. lol

Regardless I am now never going back to yoga and will continue to spend my time is ab and pilate classes or reading on a lovely cardio machine! Because seriously, I know all these gorgeous actresses get their incredible bodies from yoga, but they must get high or somethign before every workout to be able to get through. And I don't mean to knock anyone who really likes yoga. To each their own, it's just not for me. 

No comments: