Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Touch or Nano


I received my first ipod nano many years ago for a christmas present and have loved it ever since! It is one of the first generation nanos that is shown here:

There was a creepy weird flame guy on the left of it so I painted that out, didn't do a fantastic job, but this is what I have. Anyway it has been the perfect little companion to me for however many years and it even has a lovely inscription on the back that my mom put on. Essentially I have loved it to death and even though it's itune tendencies of shuffling the same songs on over and over again annoys the hell out of me it is really the only thing I need to provide me with hours of musical enjoyment.

Alas in the past week or so it has started to freeze and the buttons are acting up. When I go to skip a song it decides to skip two, etc. In essence it is starting to die, and even though I expected this I am horribly sad. Now when I bought my Macbook just about two (one?) years ago I got a free ipod nano along with it. This of course was then stolen by my sister and somehow ruined. I took it back when I went home over break knowing that mine was going out of commission but when I plug it in it is not recognized on any computers I try. To add to that the buttons do NOT work! I can sit there and press the play/pause button for a full minute and nothing happens. So now that I have to buy a new one I can't decide between the Ipod touch, or nano.



Or






Touch:

Pros

1) Touch screen! I'm a geek and love things like this!

2) Ability to watch movies/tv shows (know the nano has this but the screen is not worth it)

3) Internet!!!! I don't care about my email or anything but man it would be so useful to have google maps at certain times

4) This will also be a con, but they do have good brain thinking games that can be amusing at the right times.

Cons

1) Price. It's about $80 more than the nano, but maybe I should spring for a greater memory becuase of movies, etc???

2) Games. I am not even close to a video game type of person and a lot of what the touch is is being promoted as being great for that.

3) I really dislike the idea of being attached to technology 24/7. I will never get a blackberry if I can help it, but than I can always just not attach my email to it. And side note: If i had the opportunity to get an Iphone I totally would!

Nano:

Pros:

1) It is small and easy to use, holds lots of songs

2) Price

Cons:

Non really, I mean it does what I would pay for, plays my songs. I don't get to see pretty pictures on it though (screen too small).

Ultimately apple is great in ensuring that both the nano and touch have the same qualities when it comes to playing music, such as the accelerometer. The nano now also comes in color which is fun. So do I go with the really cool touch just so I could play with it?? Or stick with the nano which just makes sense.

Well old nano is working today so we'll put the final decision off for at least another day!!!!

No comments: