Monday, January 5, 2009

Holiday Recap Part 1

2008

Most of the holidays passed in a blur for me. I wasn't home till xmas eve so before I knew it christmas was over! which is sad because I like the build up of anticipation. Silly big person job!
But i'll try to recap here, for my sake because I have a bad memory and I would like to remember what I did!

Christmas Eve (Wed): Flew home today. I was lucky enough to have a scheduled flight right in the window of good weather. I was after all the craziness that occured on Tuesday where people were stuck in Ohara all night so yippee for that! And then I flew out oh about 2 hours before the snow was due to start again and cause all manners of nonsense in the flying airplane world. Managed to get home around 6ish that night and had a delicious fajita dinner with the family and grandparents. Then spent most of the rest of the night going through christmas presents that I had had mailed home previously (I did all my xmas shopping online) and wrapping those. Felt good to hang out with the sis, she's starting to get old enough to relate to and have nice conversations with so that was great! Maybe now that she actually likes to talk, she'll start becoming more girly as well! She did receive a scarf from our grandmother which is something new! And yelled at me when I tried to steal it so there's hope. Lol

Christmas Day: This whole day passed in a big blur. Of course we were up at 8:30 am because my family are freaks! who can not sleep for the life of them. Unwrapping presents was fairly simple and quick as there were only a few for each person. I got an electric blanket which I just tried out last night (Jan 4) and it worked wonderfully well. Though I think I may need to turn it on periodically through the night cause it did get cold halfway through. I also got a veggie peeler!!! And a Kindle. Which is very cool, but we really need to figure out a way to share books on it because it is just not cool with me that I pay to order a book and than can't do anything else with it? I mean I read books more than once, but sharing is half the fun.

We had a lovely brunch after present giving (I heart bacon! and fresh bagels! and sticky buns!). And then later in the afternoon the rest of my mom's side of the family came up and did the whole family thing. Included in the serious business of gifts my mother and aunt had also decided that it would be fun to do a yankee swap. Not sure what they were thinking as that just meant that we would go from having our junk in our basement to having someone elses, but hey. And to prove it my brother ended up with a Flowbee! A flowbee is a hair (head hair) shaver that you connect to a vaccum and then shave someone's head. yes I would say that you probably don't get such a great haircut and seriously is it that hard to just sweep up the hair after you're done?? I used to shave my ex's hair and you could just gather the clumps as you moved the razor and then place them in a bag. Granted his hair was curly so maybe that made it easier but are we that lazy??? Dinner followed and then everyone peaced out pretty early actually.

Day after Christmas (Fri): I met up with the college roomies today. All four of us had lunch at some obscure restaurant in Peterborough, NH. Random and completely empty of course because we didn't meet until 2 and by the time everyone got there becuase of traffic and getting lost it was closer to 3. But it was fun to hang out with the girls. One of the hardest adjustments of moving on after college has been that I don't have people in my apartment whenever I am home. :( I mean I love my alone time but we would have at least 4 or 5 people at a time what with all the boyfriends and surrogate roomates who filtered in. Now it's just me and chlo. Still good, just different. After lunch the 3 originals rented a room in yet another obscure Peterborough establishment, Jack Daniel's Motor Inn. Yessir, It was a classy place, but it was clean and boasted two double beds and a place for us to veg out, have some drinks, and relax. I was insanely lucky to be placed with two amazing girls my freshman year in lovely old Riley dorm and I am so glad that we can keep up the relationships we began back there in that one room even though we are now spread out across the US! And I'm still coming to visit Rockett!!!!

Late Friday into Sat: Needless to say we stayed up and talked until all hours of the night and unfortunately Buffman had to leave rather early. So we saw her off and then passed out again for a couple hours. Lol. After parting ways from Rockett I headed home to shower up and then we ended up going to Exeter, Nh to have dinner at my aunts house. Now this was pretty much just a replay of christmas day dinner, but right around when the dishes were cleared I crashed and only wanted to go home and pass out. Not sleeping does not do well with me! I would have been fine but my grandparents are rather technology inefficient and for xmas my grandfather had received an electronic book and a one-cup coffee maker. Neither of which did either of them know how to work. So after dinnner was teh time to make numerous cups of coffee one at a time while everyone sits there and yells out what they think you should be doing! Trying on the nerves even at the best of times and I was not feeling it. Other than that it was very good to see everyone. I miss the family very much!!!! and also usually love the gatherings....sleep though, required!

Sun, Mon, Tues: I believe I spent two of these days reading Twilight 1 & 2. I mean entire days. My father was ready to murder me! He would come stand in front of my chair and ask if I really meant to be still sitting there in my pajamas READING! I mean come on it's like 3pm in the afternoon. Well yes Dad, that is exactly what I am meaning to do! I mean I may be saying that the books irritated me but I am still goign to read it! (If you want to know what I thought of the Twilight series go here) Other than reading I also saw Marley & Me (awesome, though you're thinking how horrible the dog is most of the time) and Seven Pounds (not at all what I expected and very sad, though good) in the theatres. And no matter what my family says, I will never be able to go to two movies in one day!!! NEVER! I have a hard enough time with one! lol

My experiences on Wed require their whole own post or this will become a very long one!! So there is what we have thus far.

2 comments:

Tomasen said...

I can't wait to hear about Weds!! I do have two other comments as well...First...I got a GREAT popcorn popper out of the Yankee Swap and it lives up in my kitchen...not in the basement...so that worked for me! I got rid of a Flowbee and a Towel Warmner...YIPEEE!!
I knew you were not yourself here.. and I hear you...I am moosh without sleep! Love you..

Hal said...

Haha well I'm glad you were happy with your gift. I did notice Jeff left behind the Bikini bear wax thing!!! lol.

And yep, hit me like a ton of bricks after the meal. Dinner was nice though. LOOOVE your lasagna.