Friday, January 30, 2009

When only one's left

what do you do??

I am obsessed with earrings, all jewelry in general actually but earrings will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember wanting pierced ears every since I could remember, but my mother would not let me get them until I turned 12. Oh so when that wonderful twelfth day of my life rolled around, we went to a local salon, and then they brought out the gun! Now I was just excited to get my ears pierced, but never once had I thought about how they actually do it!! So I was a little freaked. Anyway they did it and as we were paying I was standing at the front desk with my mom and the next thing I know I am on the floor and throwing up in a waste basket. Yes, I fainted and then threw up. We never really determined the reason. My family is positive it was because of the pain and that I am just a wimp. I am going with the fact that I hadn't eaten anything that day because I was so excited and it just got to me. I mean what 12 year old doesn't eat all day?? haha. But yea, I went through a lot of pain and ended up with fabulous amazing holes in my ears!! I was able to wear real earrings.

But of course, over the years mishaps happen and I have lost lone earrings. For numerous reasons of course but a lot of them I absolutely love so I have been unable to throw them out and I keep them all in a bag in my jewelry box. Well I have been sorting things tonight and I decided to take pictures of all my favorites! So here goes:
I don't remember when/where/why I got this pair but I think the little turtle is just so damn cute! it always made me happy when I wore them because I knew I had these great little turtles on my ears! Sadly this guy has been lonely for a very long time and my ears, turtleless.
These earrings were a gift from a family friend one year for my birthday and I wasn't so much a huge fan of their looks as of how they stayed in my ears. The back had a little hook so once it was clipped in there was no way these babies were falling out. It was really nice because I could do anything in them, swimming was the main worry, and never have to think about it or anything. And you know what...their looks grew on me. The purple was great for bringing out my eyes and they looked nice enough for any occasion. These were my summer earrings for a long time.
I have an obsession with long dangly silver earrings. I have no idea why but I heart them. I also have this uncanny ability to lose or break them usually right around a month after I've bought them. thus I have owned a number of pairs and yet still always find myself lacking the dangly silvers. I also usually wait around 6 months before buying the next pair as I get very annoyed with myself every time I mess it up again. lol
These used to be my mothers I believe. I found a lot of old random jewelry over the years as I pawed through garage/barn stuff. But I loved these becuase they were flat where hoops usually have a pretty broad side that shows forward these were nice and flat. You can't tell from the picture, but they also had that stamped/beaten look that metal can have. I have never seen another pair like this and yet it is still a type I look for every time I enter an earring store.
These used to be my mothers as well. Obsession with gold much!?? And though it looks rather ugly just sitting there they were very pretty when on. I remember the night I lost these. My friends and I had been out on our school soccer field (and when I say field, it's like 5 fields put together) just hanging around one night in highschool. Once we got back to the dorms I realized I was missing one. I was very sad and I even went back to look around using my cell as a flashlight. haha, needless to say I did not find it.
My grandparents would very frequently get me earrings for my birthday. They spend the winters in New Mexico so most of the time they were turquoise or of native american origin. The bear represents a protector, physical strength, leadership. I have 2 other pairs of earrings that are the bear as well but my favorites were these cute little silver ones. Unfortunately...
Cute & simple. They were nice like the small purple ones farther up becuase they clipped in the back as well and I didn't have to think about them. The colors are pretty together.

As I said before I absolutely love silver and dangles. These were cool becuase they were never in the same shape. I've since seen bigger ones of the same idea but i liked the size and different qualities of them. This was a stupid loss, I had taken them off while I was lying on the couch and put them on the coffee table. I forgot them there that night and by the time I went back to get them.... I blamed my younger siblings. haha

7 comments:

Tomasen said...

I think we passed on our love of jewelry and especially earrings. Earrings too are my very favorites!!
So many abandoned earrings...so little time! I too keep my castoff singles as I cannot part with them and like you there are stories upon stories that go along with them! As I was reading your post I was thinking that we really should DO something with these little gems. An earring cemetery of sorts? Or a dangling mobile with the earrings and little words telling about their lives in some way...
But no, they will stay, forever single in my jewelry box for the time that I actually have the time to reminisce!!

Lisa said...

Maybe a necklace of old earrings???? Because I have tons of them too. I believe that it is because I hope to one day find the match.

And I don't recall giving you those gold hoops!

Hal said...

I don't believe you ever actually give me your old jewelry... I take it and figure if I haven't heard something about it from you in a few months or so you don't even realize it's gone! I really loved those, as did Amy! She would comment every time I wore them.

Hal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

THIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!